The TALK Line operates round-the-clock (24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year) and has provided service virtually uninterrupted for more than 30 years. Enhanced translation capacity allows the TALK Line to handle critical calls in more than 170 languages. The TALK Line is free of charge for all callers.
The TALK Line’s trained volunteer counselors provide early interventions, referrals and support to every parent and caregiver who calls. TALK Line counselors and professional clinical staff provide counseling and support on any topic of concern for a parent or caregiver, including:
- Child care challenges
- Anger management
- Positive discipline
- Calming your baby
- Anxiety about parenting
- General childcare questions
- Domestic violence
All callers are asked if they would like a follow-up phone call. Though not required, many callers choose to have weekly supportive check-ins with TALK Line counselors over the course of months and even years. TALK Line counselors model positive listening and parenting skills and are in many cases a “lifeline” for parents and caregivers.
The TALK Line serves families living in San Francisco. For support outside of San Francisco, please dial 211 from your local area code or call the following resources:
Bay Area Resources:
- Alameda County Parental Stress Hotline: 510-893-5444
- Contra Costa County Crisis Hotline: 800-833-2900
- Napa County 24-hour Stress Hotline: 866-289-8888
- San Mateo County Parental Stress Hotline: 650-327-3333
- Santa Clara County Parental Stress Hotline: 408-279-8228
- Santa Cruz County (North) Parental Stress Hotline: 831-426-7322
- Santa Cruz County (South) Parental Stress Hotline: 831-724-2879
- Sonoma County Parental Support Line: 707-585-6108
You can also contact the National Child Abuse Prevention Hotline at 1-800-4-A-CHILD (24 hours a day/seven days a week).